Raise your hand if you love avocado. *everyone everywhere raises hand* Now, raise your hand if you love pasta. *everyone everywhere raises hand* I thought so. This recipe does not need much introduction, but alas this is a blog and I shall write one anyway! I made an avocado macaroni and cheese recipe a while ago on my own, but it required a ton of ingredients and more time than I was willing to put in to a dinner-for-one. Fast-forward a few weeks and TAH-DAAAAH! I found a wonderful recipe from the blog Thyme and Love that is much simpler and equally as delicious. I cannot stress enough how scrumptious and filling this dish is! Additionally, the ingredients are pretty cheap with the exception of avocado so if you’re on a really tight budget, this one might be a treat-yo-self. I would strongly suggest incorporating it into your meal plan, though, ASAP.
I did happen to make a few adjustments such as eliminating cilantro and using two small avocados rather than one medium. I didn’t want to buy cilantro just for one recipe and my grocery store only had little avocados! Cilantro will give the dish a fresh little kick, but it is not ~essential~. You could also substitute 1/8 tsp of garlic powder for the clove of garlic if you prefer. Another down-fall is that the recipe does leave a few dishes to do at the end of the meal. However, if you’ve got soap and time to spare it’s good to go! Enough chatter, let’s get to cooking.
- 8 oz Gluten-free pasta
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 of a White Onion, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced (or 1/8 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 Medium or 2 Small Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Cook pasta according to the package. Before draining the pasta, reserve some of the pasta water and set the water aside. Once the pasta is al dente drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Transfer to a blender.
- Add teh avocado, cilantro, lemon juice and salt to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- After the pasta has been cooked add the avocado sauce. Add a tiny bit of the reserved pasta water if needed.
- Serve Immediately